August 10, 2015

Choices, choices...

In fact, my 1930's dress is finally finished. It isn't perfect at all but it's better than it was and to be honest, I'm tired of fussing with it. Now, I just have to take proper pictures of it.

In the mean time, I'm considering other things. I still have some black stretch cotton in my stash which could make a nice tapered pencil skirt. And how about a pair of culottes or a cute 1950's blouse (to wear with the skirt and culottes ;) ). Separates are nice and practical... but dresses tend to claim center stage!

I'm loving my 1966 dress so that has opened up a whole new genre of dresses for me. It won't surprise you that I'm eyeing up other options from my 1960's Marion magazines now.

In fact, I have already traced the pattern for the dress on the left. It's very simple: Just two pattern pieces and facings. I haven't found any trim but there are other options: Interesting fabric, added design details. I wanted to use purple linen first but I think I will try black cotton with big red flowers first.

And then, there are my usual 1950's options...
I've said I was going to make this dress for two years now:

I guess I should get started on it before summer is over. I have a great fabric: narrow orange and white stripes, but I'm not 100% sure. Will I be able to make the stripes on the bodice look so perfectly horizontal? Where did they hide the darts? And should I really make another shirt dress? 
I love shirt dresses so that shouldn't be a problem...




And yet, there are other lovely examples of striped dresses. Some simple, some complicated. Some shirt dresses, some other options. Some which would require the use of big, clear stripes, others which would look great in my fabric...

I don't know yet. There is yet another 1950's dress I'm thinking about too... 

No comments:

Post a Comment